October 3, 2014

Delicious Shortbreads

Tomorrow is our niece's 2nd birthday! I wanted to make some cookies for her birthday so I needed a recipe without eggs or milk. She's allergic to eggs and I can't have milk. So heres the recipe I followed that doesn't contain either!


What you need:
1 cup softened butter ( I use Becel Vegan Margarine since regular butter and margarine contain milk)
3/4 cup of powdered/icing sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of all purpose flour





Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl until smooth





Gradually add flour and mix on low until its all combined smoothly. Add the flour in little bits at a time because if you add the flour all at once your dough turns incredibly crumbly.



This is how it should look once all the flour is in


On wax paper pat out your dough until its about 1/4 inch in thickness and then carefully place the dough in the fridge or freezer for about 20 minutes





Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once your dough is cold enough you can use whatever cookie cutters you might have. I used hearts and little flower shapes.



Place in the oven for about 8-9 minutes. While they cook I mixed up my icing. I didn't make it from scratch. I bought the Duncan Hines Buttercream flavour ( which surprisingly has no milk) and used pink food coloring.




Wait until they cool and put whichever designs you'd like on them. This batch made about 18 cookies. The heart shapes were kind of big though so you might be able to get more with smaller cutters.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment