January 2, 2015

Common Canadian Stereotypes...eh



You may or may not know that I am from the beautiful country that is Canada!

I love living in Canada and could never imagine living someplace else.

Today I thought it would be fun to list 10 of the most common Canadian stereotypes!

#1- We live in igloos
I've never seen an igloo. Around here we tend to prefer houses. Although I have attempted many times at building an igloo in the snow when I was a kid..

#2- Canada is always cold
Not true. We have summer and there are times when its HOT. A little too hot for my liking...

#3- All Canadians speak french
I read only 22% of Canada's population actually speaks fluent french.
I can count to 30...

#4- We have moose and beaver running about
I've seen a moose once...at the Wildlife Park.
Do you know how terrifying it would be to have moose just hanging around everywhere?!

#5- We all say "oot" and "aboot"
lol no. Just no.

#6- All Canadians are nice
I will say for the most part this is true. We also tend to apologize quite frequently. We do have our fair share of mean people though.

#7- Everyone plays hockey
Kind of true. Even if you don't necessarily like hockey you were probably made to play it in Gym class at least once.

#8- "Eh" ends every sentence
Eh does pop up every now and then but I don't personally know anyone who constantly says it.

#9- We put maple syrup on everything
While we don't eat it on everything, I can't say I know one person who doesn't like maple syrup! I myself not only love syrup but just about anything else maple flavoured. Pie, fudge, cookies....mmm

#10- Everyone drinks their milk from a bag
Not everyone. We also have the option of buying milk in a carton or jug. Bag milk (that sounds wrong lol)  is the only kind my grandparents buy.


To end this post I'd like to point out some awesome things about Canada!

- Free health care
- Our money. Its plastic, different colors and I kid you not, when its new the money actually smells like maple. The banks deny this but have a sniff for yourself some day!
- Certain Snacks. Im a lover of chocolate bars and I've found a list of snacks that aren't available in the States.
Coffee Crisp
Aero
Wunderbar
Mr. Big
Ketchup chips
Dill Pickle chips

If you're from the States let me know in the comments if you've heard of any of these!

I hope you enjoyed this post! It was rather fun to write!
Have you heard any other stereotypes that I may have missed? Let me know!


10 comments:

  1. Well I'm not from the States, but I have heard of every single one of these stereotypes haha. This was really fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh this was so lovely to read!! really want to visit canada looks awesome!!xoxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! There's soo many beautiful places :)

      Delete
  3. I know, eh? Haha. I don't really use eh.
    I definitely love hockey! That's for sure!
    Great post!

    Much love
    jedidiahgc.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list! I really want to visit Canada one day, and eat all the maple syrup! haha

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!! Theres plenty to go around! :)

      Delete
  5. hahaha love this! I went to canada for six weeks for the first time last year and loved it so much, i definitely want to go back someday! i did come back with loads of maple syrup though haha ;)

    www.planetmeganx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thats awesome! Where in Canada did you visit?

      Delete