January 22, 2015

How To : Battle Cold Sores

source:google

Lets talk about cold sores today.
90% of people get at least one cold sore in their lives.
If you've never had one, consider yourself very lucky!

Cold sores suck, to say the least.
The burn, they itch, they swell and they have the power of making you feel like the ugliest person that ever walked the planet.

Today hits the 2 year mark of my last cold sore!
Now this is amazing considering I would get at least one every year maybe even two.

I wanted to share with you how I battle cold sores and managed to keep them away for so long.

All I use are these 3 main products.


Rubbing Alcohol


I use this whenever I feel that oh so familiar itchy sensation before a cold sore comes out.
You can use a cotton swab and dab some alcohol on the spot you normally get a cold sore.

If a cold sore happens to pop out I still use alcohol on it. Very frequently. The alcohol will dry it up way faster then all of those products people try to sell you, like abreva.
Do not use that. In my experience it only makes them 10 times worse.


L-Lysine


Im pretty sure this is what saved me.
Lysine is a natural supplement. People use this to help treat and prevent the growth of the herpes virus.

If you currently have a cold sore, you can take 3 of these a day until its healed. If you don't have a cold sore you can still take 1 a day to help prevent further outbreaks.

When I first started taking these I was doing the 3 a day while I had a cs.
After it was gone I took 1 a day.
Now, lysine is supposed to produce natural collagen in your skin. So its been noted that people with bad acne have actually seen a difference in their skin. 
I never had a problem with acne so with my unfortunate luck the lysine had the opposite affect on my skin. I started getting really bad pimples. Like, deep in the skin pimples.

If this happens to you, I would stop taking it.

But thats okay. Theres another way for this to work.

After I stopped taking them, whenever I felt that tingle or burn, I would take one of the pills and run it under the water for a few seconds and then I would rub the pill over my lip to create a sort of paste.

This works just as well as taking them!

You can buy these at Walmart or any store with a natural supplement section.


Berry Blistex


Just your typical blistex. This is the only thing I can put on my lips that doesn't irritate them. It has to be berry. I'm not sure what it is about this particular one but any other flavour or brand makes my lips feel funny. I take this everywhere. To work, when I'm out and its always sitting somewhere beside my bed. I coat my lips with it before I go to sleep.


So there you have it! 

I'm in no way suggesting I am an expert in this but I wanted to share with you what has worked for me these past few years. Hopefully they work for you too!

Also remember

Cold sores are highly contagious!!
Do not share utensils or drinks with anyone. Absolutely NO kissing while you have a cold sore.
Be especially careful around children. I was 8 years old when I had my first cold sore. Let me tell ya, I wasn't kissing any boys at that age so I've always been a little mad at whoever it was that allowed me to drink from them or whatever the case may be.






This is not a sponsored post, I genuinely use each of these products everyday. 



8 comments:

  1. I'm lucky that I don't get them, I know a few people who suffer from them and they can look so sore.
    This is great advice to people who get them!

    Meme xx
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky! They can definitely be sore at times!

      Delete
  2. First of all, thank you so much for dropping by my blog. I really appreciate it, so thank you.

    I too never had a cold sores before and I also know a few people who are unfortunate to get them. I've heard that Tea Tree oil, can also cure cold sores, it has strong antimicrobial qualities despite having a very strong camphor smell. And Tea Tree oil also cures spots and blemishes. But over all thanks for sharing such a great tips!

    Hope your having a great day or night

    Ana
    http://analyn-razon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized tea tree oil was good for cold sores! Thanks for the tip :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! Tea tree oil is such a miracle worker for all kinds of skin issues!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where can I find tea tree oil? Does it help to even out skin tone?

      Delete
  4. great tips, hopefully I won't get one
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete