February 16, 2015

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker & Ian Holt | Book Review

Book: Dracula the Un-Dead
Author: Dacre Stoker & Ian Holt
Genre: Horror
Published: 2009
Pages: 389
My rating: 







Summary

A quarter of a century after Count Dracula "crumbled into dust," Quincey Harker-the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker-leaves law school to pursue a career on stage, only to stumble upon the troubled production of Dracula, directed and produced by Bram Stoker himself.

As the play plunges Quincey into the world of his parents' terrible secrets, death begins to stalk the original band of heroes that defeated Dracula a quarter-century ago. Could it be that the count survived and is now seeking revenge? Or is there another, far more sinister force at work whose relentless purpose is to destroy anything and anyone associated with Dracula, the most notorious vampire of all time?

My Review

As a lover of anything horror I was quite excited to find a copy of Dracula the Un-Dead for only $2.99 at a local thrift store. I had read the classic Dracula by Bram Stoker last year and had no idea there was an official sequel to the novel.
Looking at the reviews on Goodreads its safe to say majority of those who read this novel hated it. Mostly every review had 1 or 2 stars. I would have to disagree. I quite enjoyed it.
I think those who really didn't like it, were huge fans of the classic Dracula. 
They kind of changed certain events (time frames and such) that took place in the original to make it fit into their novel. I thought it was okay though. 

What I liked about this book:
- They brought back the original characters from Dracula. Telling how their encounter with the count changed their lives. I also think the authors did an amazing job staying true to the characters. 
- It was easy to read. 
I'm not sure if i'm the only one, but I find when I read classic novels I have a hard time processing what I'm reading because the way they were written back then is different. Very Shakespearean? I dont know. I liked how this book was a little more modernized while still being set in 1912. 
-  You get to see a softer side of Dracula. I think this is something a lot of people didn't like. In the classic, Dracula is portrayed as a monster. In this sequel your view is completely turned around when shown Dracula's "true" intentions. I thought it was pretty interesting.

What I didn't like about this book:
- There is a new vampire introduced. Countess Elizabeth Bathory. While I enjoyed her part in the book I just thought the story was more focused on her and less of Dracula. 
As someone on goodreads reviewed, the book is 90% Bathory 10% Dracula. Which I would have to agree. Seeing this new side of Dracula made me want to read more about it.
- An overload of characters. Lots of names thrown at you that kind of left your mind boggled. Wondering if they're important or not. (Most times they weren't)


Overall I give this 4/5 stars. I really enjoyed it.

If any of you have read this I just have one question that drove me crazy at the end! This isn't really a spoiler so dont worry those of you who haven't read it!

Near the end of the book, Bathory made Dracula see who it was that turned her into a vampire. Dracula became quite enraged at this. Who the heck was it!??
I don't know if I just missed this somehow throughout the book but I can't recall! 
If you've read this, please tell  me! lol

Hope you enjoyed! 

2 comments:

  1. Great book review.
    I love books especially rom-com ones :)
    XO

    http://thebandwagonchic.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I went through a phase when all I would read was romantic novels lol

      Delete