February 10, 2015

Ten on Tuesday | Valentine's Day

A lot of people end up feeling disappointed on Valentine's Day. This is usually because they have this amazing day all planned in their minds and have their hearts set on a specific gift they'd like to receive. Some women expect to be treated like a queen, like this day should be all about them.

Planning out your day down to the last little detail will almost always end disappointingly because you will never know what the day will bring. Unexpected things happen.Life happens. And girls, do not expect your boyfriends/husbands to know exactly what you want. They don't. And don't even expect them to remember what you asked for because they won't. ( In most cases)

For this Ten on Tuesday post I'm going to share 10 tips on how to make your Valentine's Day a little more enjoyable. (hopefully)
I have 6 tips for those in relationships and 4 tips for all the single people out there!





For those in a relationship:

Do not expect things- Chances are you will be let down. Don't expect your partner to know every last gift you'd like & don't expect this huge romantic gesture. If there's something you desperately want, leave hints. Everywhere. Places they won't be missed. 

Buy your boyfriend/husband something- A lot of people think Valentine's Day is solely about the women. Heck, I used to be one of those people. But I've come to realize its just not. Valentine's Day is about love. Sharing love with everyone. Buying or making your guy a really thoughtful gift (especially when he's not used to getting one) will totally make his day!

Don't put so much pressure on the day- It's just a day. There won't be roses falling from the sky. Don't stress about making the day perfect. Don't stress about finding the cutest outfit. Don't stress when there is absolutely no restaurants available. Staying at home together is just as great, if not better!

Try not to complain- If you are someone who expects these amazing magical Valentine's gestures, try not to complain when things don't go as planned. You're only going to make your partner feel like crap. Just be grateful. Be grateful that you have someone to share your love with! Be grateful that they are even taking the time out to make your day special!

Try something different- If you think Valentine's Day is too hectic and over-rated try doing something totally different from the usual dinner and a movie date. Go skating or skiing ( if you live somewhere with snow), Try go-karting or paint balling, anything fun! One year Craig and I went on a sleigh ride through the snow at a farm. It was my most favorite Valentine's Day! 

It will not be like the movies- This kind of ties everything together. Your day will probably not end up like something out of a romantic movie. Just take the day as it is. 

For the singles:

Don't buy yourself loads of chocolate- If you're sad that you don't have a partner to share the day with, refrain from going out and buying yourself tons of candy and chocolate. You'll make yourself feel even worse for eating it all!

Don't spend the day/night alone- Go out with friends or family! Or stay in and have movie marathons with them! You can share the love with anyone! It doesn't have to be a couples day!

On a different note, don't try to get your "couple" friends to hang out with you- If you're feeling lonely or left out, do not ask your friends who are an item to spend the day with you. They probably will because they'll feel bad and then that ruins anything they had planned for the day. Or, it could make you feel worse seeing them all lovey dovey all day. Its better to just avoid!

Don't spend all day looking at pictures of your ex- If you've recently broken up and now have to spend the holiday alone, try not to stare at pictures all day. Or think about what you could have been doing. You're only going to torture yourself! Make the day about you. Pamper yourself, go shopping, take a long hot bath. You'll be fine!

I hope these tips we're helpful! Let me know if you have any other tips or ideas! 






24 comments:

  1. These are great tips!! I'm just happy to spend time with my husband on Valentines Day, and it's so much better to not have huge expectations for the holiday :)

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of these tips! Not in a relationship, but I like the idea of not making to high of expectations, setting yourself up for disappointment!

    I'll be spending time with family on Valentines Day - hope you have a good one!

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope yours is great as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! Love these!

    http://www.lifeofbrookeandjane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! <33

    xo,
    Bri
    www.cityfashiongirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. GREAT advice!! I personally hate the "only guys should buy gifts" mentality.. so unhealthy IMO!

    Anyhoo, I found your blog through a fellow blogger, and just thought I'd drop by and say hi! It would totally make my day if you did the same - or better yet! - keep in touch! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely agree with you!
      Thanks for stopping by! I'll check your blog out!

      Delete
  6. This is a great, realistic post for v-day! Thanks for the reminder not to expect the world!

    Chelsea
    Chowing Down by the Bay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! :) Thanks for reading !

      Delete
  7. This is such a great, real post. I think so many people hype of Valentine's Day, but I agree, it's about love. I have been with my boyfriend for 8 years now and the best V-days are spent making dinner together and exchanging homemade cards. Thanks for posting!

    Natalie // Sprinkled with Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Me and boyfriend have also been together for 8 years and this year we've decided to stay home and just paint our bedroom together! I think it'll just as fun as going out!
      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. These are really good points. I think that Valentine's day can cause so much disappointment or anxiety, much of it unnecessary! My husband and I will actually be spending the weekend up the coast with some friends and my in-laws; we had to take advantage of the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like fun! I hope you have a wonderful valentine's day and long weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Great tips for vday!!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I'm single this Valentine's day - there's no pressure for me and I can just do what I want! Hope you have a lovely day this Valentine's!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do too, with whatever you choose to do that day! :)

      Delete