February 17, 2015

The Winter Blues

Something terrible has happened.

I came down with something.

I seem to have a case of the winter blues.

ME! The winter blues! A girl who longs for winter during the hot summer months. A girl who normally considers everything to do with snow beautiful.
I just can't shake it.
Our weather lately has been bringing me down. Snow upon snow. Freezing rain on top of that so everything turns to ice. The bottom of our street has flooded on more then one occasion. Not to mention its minus degree weather every day.

I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. The sight of snow is starting to make me angry. I feel my entire body slouch when I hear someone say.."we're getting another 30cm tonight!"

So. There's only one thing I can do.
Find ways to break myself out of this mood until Spring comes along.

I've come up with a list of 5 things for myself and anyone else battling the blues to try. So here it is...

How to beat the winter blues:

1. Surround yourself with light. Whether its artificial or the actual sunlight, get under it. Even if its freezing out, if the sun is shining go outside for a few minutes. Open every blind and curtain. Turn on lamps. Anything.

2. Exercise outside. Dress warm and head outside for a walk. Walking should cause your body to feel warmer anyway and it may just make you feel better by getting a little exercise.

3. Find a winter activity. Like skiing, snowboarding, ice skating or snow shoeing. Finding an activity thats fun that you need snow for may cause you to end up liking the snow. If those activities don't tickle your fancy try winter photography. That's what i'll be trying. I need to find the beauty in snow and ice again.

4. Make your space "winter cozy". Have big warm blankets nearby to cuddle up in and have hot chocolate handy.
You can also try brightening up your place to make it feel a little less like winter indoors. Buy a couple of really bright and colorful pillows or even go as far as painting one of your rooms a nice bright color!

5. Bring yourself out of a rut. It could be as easy as changing your hairstyle or trying out new makeup looks! Treat yourself to a new outfit ( or two) but make sure you get fun bright pieces!

These are little things I'm going to be trying. Hopefully they're a little helpful to anyone else feeling down this winter!

Hope you enjoyed reading!

What do you do during the winter months to keep your spirits up?

And dont forget!..

16 comments:

  1. I've had a case of the winter blues this year too.. it's just been such a long and rough winter! Thank you for the tips! xx

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh tell me about it! It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have the ice storms coming along with the snow!

      Delete
  2. Idk we have long harsh summers so winters seem pleasant..is summer blues a thing?if it is I have it every summer :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha summer blues can definitely be a thing!
      What are your winters like?

      Delete
    2. they used to start around mid Oct-Nov but with changing climate now it starts around end of Nov to Dec and goes until like Jan to mid Feb there is no snow or storm just chilly cold and temperature sometimes goes down to like 3-4 degree Celsius but only for a couple of days..so we have like 2 months of winter

      Delete
    3. yeah that would probably be a welcome temperature for you! Our winters start around the end of Nov and can last until March. Sometimes going down to -30 degrees celsius!

      Delete
  3. You can get through it! :)
    I actually love doing many of the things you stated to beat any blues.<3

    Vegetarian Courtesy




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will get through it, im just soo ready for Spring!

      Delete
  4. You changed your header again, it looks awesome. Winter blues are horrible, we seem to be experiencing the same thing! I just can't wait until the days get brighter, the weather warms up and winter is gone! Great tips Renee, thanks for sharing :) if you need anyone to talk to, don't hesitate to email me for a chat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they terrible? I can't wait for longer brighter days!!
      Yes, I've changed it once again! haha I get bored SO easily. Its a problem lol

      & thank you! If I need to talk i'll definitely keep that in mind! :)

      Delete
  5. It's starting to brighten up where I live, so hopefully you'll get a bit more sunshine now too!
    Rubi | The Den | http://www.the-den.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally know what you mean, I get the winter blues too! I try and take some vitamin D supplement which definitely helps for me. I looove the new header! The wolf is fab :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ou vitamin D! I never thought of that!
      And thank you! I love wolves! :)

      Delete
  7. I love your tip about heading outside. When I'm in a funk, going outside & seeing what nature has to offer is more inspiring & uplifting than not.

    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete