March 11, 2015

Breaking The Habit


I found this picture last night. I thought, wow..that is actually so very true. People usually have conversations about "what's going wrong in their lives". I think the reason for this is because:

1. It's so easy to fixate on the bad things happening. They tend to consume you.

2. When someone else brings up all of their problems, we get sucked into their "negative hole" and realize all of the problems in our lives.

3. We feel "bad" for talking about all of the good things in our lives. 

Its kind of hard to explain what I mean by us feeling "bad" for talking about our joys. I'll give you an example.
Say if you're at work, and the people you work with are normally chronic complainers. Something great has just happened in your life and you feel the overwhelming need to share it with everyone. So you go ahead and share your news. Sometimes you may get the reaction you were looking for- someone else sharing your joy- but most times you get a blunt Oh yeah? Thats nice. And then they go back to talking about whatever is wrong with them.

Your joyful happy bubble has just been popped. You now feel disappointed that no one else feels the same happiness you do about the subject. And you probably feel guilty now because something great has just made you happy, while the person next to you seems to be swimming in a pool of crap.

But it doesn't have to be like that.

I'm going to share my joys from now on. But that's not all. I'm going to help people realize their joys as well. If i'm with someone who has been complaining most of the day about their problems, I'm going to ask them a simple question.

What has made you happy lately?

Hopefully this sparks something inside them and they feel joy for a least a few minutes thinking and talking about what has made them happy.

I'm not saying I'm never going to talk about my problems again. Everyone needs to vent and get things off their chests. But I'm going to make sure I talk about the good things too.

So to end this post I thought I'd share some of my joys with you!

- Spring is almost here! And I can actually feel my depressing mood lift day by day as the sun shines just a little bit longer.

- The days I get to spend with my niece. She's only 2 but is already so smart. She was trying to tell me something the other day and I couldn't make out what she was saying. So I kept saying words I thought she said and she would shake her head no. Finally I said, I'm sorry I'm so bad at baby speak. Then I looked at her and said " You can understand everything I'm saying to you though can't you?" And she looked at me with her little arm raised in the air and said Yes. It made me laugh.

- Craig.
When you're in a relationship for a long time (ours being 8 years) you sometimes have these moments where something happens and the other persons steps up and really shows you that you mean absolutely everything to them. It makes you feel like you're falling in love all over again with them. And everything just feels perfect. I was having a pretty rough day yesterday and the attention and support I received from Craig was over the moon. So at the end of the night I hugged him and named off every single thing he did yesterday that made me feel loved and I Thanked him.

I am happy and full of joy.
Don't let the bad in your world overpower the good.
Talk about your joys everyday! 


TELL ME SOMETHING THAT GIVES YOU JOY!


10 comments:

  1. This Is beyond accurate! I feel so slouchy and dim when people around me just talk about gossip and problems and begin bad-mouthing people. I usually prefer to zone out or else I become frustrated. There are so many positives that happen daily in our lives, but some people just refuse to acknowledge them. I'm happy for creating my very first blouse and bra pattern last night! :)

    Vegetarian Courtesy


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Bad moods are definitely contagious!
      That's so awesome you've created your own patterns!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Renee, this is exactly why I always like to post my "The simple pleasures" series. Sometimes we are too focused on the negatives, we should focus more on the good things around us. It's so sweet about you and Craig, my boyfriend and I often do that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love your simple pleasures posts!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you.. we should talk about joy because joy is attract happiness !
    Love your blog, hope to see you soon on my blog

    xx
    http://liveitcolorfully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can be pretty bad for fixating on the bad stuff. I need to get better at looking on the bright side and at the good things in my life. This is a really inspiration post, thanks Renee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) You definitely should look at the brighter side of things!

      Delete
  5. Fuck the grumpy dwarfs, I'd rather, happy and dopey dwarfs! Really nice insight, completely true! Ever notice the ones who complain more reason to complain? Like attracts like and complaint attracts complaint! DEFINITELY not people you want to surround yourself with, then you become grumpy dwarf, and we don't want that! haha :) <3

    ReplyDelete