July 27, 2015

Book Review | Doppler by Erlend Loe

Doppler by Erlend Loe

Pages: 183 
Rating: 

"an enchanting modern fable about a man and his moose"

After the death of his father, Andreas Doppler abandons his home, his family, his career, and the trappings of modern civilization to live in a makeshift tent in the forest. There, he reluctantly adopts an orphaned moose-calf he names Bongo. Or is it Bongo who adopts him? They soon grow to depend on each other in unusual and unexpected ways, and together they devote themselves to the art of survival and some surprising results. 


Different. Thats the best word I can think of to describe this book.At first, I didn't get it. The man- Doppler- one day falls off of his bicycle and decides to leave his job and his family and go live in the woods. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I totally understand 'getting away' for a while, but to up and leave your family? It just wasn't something I could get behind. The fact that he decides to take care of an orphaned moose just confused me even more. You could plainly see that he was indeed capable of caring for something. A lot of the book goes on to tell about his goings-on in the forest and you soon realize he really doesn't like people. I have to admit, by the end of the book I started to like Doppler. I'm not even sure why. I guess you just start to see things the way he does (not saying I would ever leave my children behind to go live in a tent in the forest). 

This book doesn't really have a clear message. There isn't really "a story". I think you just have to take it as it is. A tale about a man and a moose. That's that. I do recommend reading it though. It was quite good.


HAVE YOU READ DOPPLER? IF SO, LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON IT.




No comments:

Post a Comment