July 23, 2015

Make-up Application Tools | What I Prefer



This past year I've really gotten into trying out new things when it comes to beauty products. I think I owe a lot of that to watching Youtube and reading blogs.

When you see so many people raving about something, you can't help but become interested in it.

Over the past few months i've been trying out different tools for applying my makeup. These ones to be exact:

The Real Techniques Stippling Brush and the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.

When I purchased these products it was my first time ever using any sort of applicators besides my fingers (oh, and that time I used to use those tiny cheap white sponges from Walmart, you know the ones) and guess what...

I still prefer using my fingers.

"Ew. Gross. Do you know how dirty your fingers are?" Yes, I'm aware. But let me tell you why I prefer using my fingers over any other makeup applicator. 

First, I almost did like the RT stippling brush. It seemed to apply my makeup fairly well and it didn't really seem to leave much streakiness behind. Soon after using it though I noticed my face was breaking out a lot more than usual. 

Now for all of you out there who think using your fingers to apply your foundation is the most unsanitary way of doing it, I for one think you're wrong. 

Let's look at brushes and sponges. You use them once and they're pretty much covered in makeup. I don't know of a single person who takes the time to wash out all of their brushes after every single use.  Maybe every couple of days but honestly from what i've seen and read most people give their brushes a good washing once a week. 

So whether your brushes are laying in your makeup bag or sitting all pretty and organized in your brush holder- they're still going to collect dirt and dust. No matter what. Dust is forever circulating around your house no matter how clean it is. You then go ahead and start putting your makeup on with that dirt and dust covered brush. 

As for the sponge. I think they're even worse. Even if you wash your sponge out after every use- Its a sponge! Anything and everything that comes into contact with it is most likely going to absorb right in.  

When I use my fingers to apply at least I know that i've just given my hands a really good washing before starting. Every single time. And as I said earlier, using the brush was making my face breakout a lot more than usual. The only time I would even get a pimple or two was around 'that time' but now i've been struggling with little tiny bumps all over my face. 

And besides that, when I used the sponge I just didn't get it. I couldn't understand what all the hype was about. It didn't make my foundation look amazing and honestly I felt like I had to use twice as much makeup with it. 

I think it all comes down to trends. We see so many of our favorite youtubers or bloggers raving about this and that and how you must use something other than your fingers to apply makeup. 

I've never been one to follow trends. If I see something I might be interested in- i'll try it out!
If I end up not liking it, well, you get posts like this! 

I know i'll probably get a few people on here who strongly disagree with me and I encourage it! Please, let me know what you honestly think about brushes and sponges! Maybe i'm just doing it wrong. 

Also, my "bath time favorites" giveaway is still running! CLICK HERE TO ENTER!

8 comments:

  1. I never really thought of it in that way. Really interesting post!

    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It seemed to apply my makeup okay. Like I said, my face started to break out quite a bit after using it!

      Delete
  3. I also use my fingers when applying makeup, sometimes..
    So I'm not gonna say eww hihi..
    It's just that you have your preferences, so I respect it, hun..

    Have a great day, Renee!

    xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone has their own preferences :)
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. You make a really good point! I try and wash my make up brushes at least twice a week, but I'm aware that it might not always be enough. I might try using my fingers to see if it makes a difference to my skin xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me if it does! My face still hasn't totally cleared yet but I definitely see a difference!

      Delete