September 27, 2015

When Dealing With Brands....(Post Sponsorships, etc)

Hey there! This is a post i've been wanting to get into for a while now. One of the most exciting things that comes along with starting your own blog is logging into your email account and noticing you have an email from some company that wants to work with you!
Now I know i've only been around for a little over a year and I may not have the most knowledge when it comes to working with brands but I thought I would share a few pieces of advice with you regarding my own experiences. So here we go...


01- YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YES TO EVERY COMPANY THAT CONTACTS YOU

I know its tempting, its exciting, you don't want to say no to someone who seems interested in working with you. But you also never want to become that blogger. The one who only seems to write up sponsored posts. Your blog will only become less appealing to readers. Especially if you're writing about things even you're not interested in. Which leads me to number 2...

02- CHOOSE COMPANIES THAT REFLECT YOU/YOUR BLOG

Choose what you write about based on your interests. If someone wants you to write about their website make sure you take the time to check out that website before saying yes to see if its something you're actually interested in. I've turned down several sponsors over the last year because their products just didn't fit me and my blog. (Example: I was contacted by a hair extension company once to bring readers to their website and talk about how awesome their extensions were. I turned them down because 1) my hair was already very long at the time, extensions were totally unnecessary 2) i've never even used extensions before and honestly, never will and 3) seeing as i've never actually used their extensions before I wouldn't be able to give a completely honest review.) Which goes into number 3...

03- GIVE HONEST REVIEWS ABOUT THE PRODUCTS YOU'RE POSTING ABOUT

Since someone is paying you- either in money or product- to write a review on them, you sort of feel like you have to give a good review about them. Well, you don't. If you don't like something, say it. I always let companies know before I even agree to a sponsored post that my review will be 100% honest. That is always one of my conditions. Look at it this way, you can disappoint some company you'll never hear from again OR you can write a bogus review on a product that misleads all of your followers into thinking its amazing. Your choice.

04- DON'T LET COMPANIES BULLY YOU

This happens more often than you might think. Some companies will contact you, ask you to review their website or products and expect you to do this for free. Some try being sneaky like this one company I was contacted by- they wanted me to come up with my own recipe or something like that, post about their website within my recipe post, link to their social media (basically give them free advertisement) and then I might win the chance for my recipe to be posted on their website. Tons of companies try to look for bloggers to give them free advertising. I mean if thats what you want to do then thats fine. Some may think accepting money or products from a brand is wrong but its really not. Not when you need to take the time out of your day to first come up with a post idea, but it can take upwards of an hour or more to even write a post. And besides that, what advertising companies do you know that do free advertising? None. That's all sponsored posts are. Advertising for said company.

So like I said, I don't have a ton of knowledge about working with brands but I do hope this advice was at least a little helpful to you?

Have you had any bad experiences while working with brands before? Let me know in the comments!


18 comments:

  1. This is a very good guide! I have received emails aswell, with company's looking for free advertisement, it took me a while to realise that I didn't have to say yes to every opportunity! :)

    Heather Xx
    100waysto30.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yeah i'm not quite sure why they think people will be so willing to take hours out of their day to post about their products for nothing! haha

      Delete
  2. I totally agree about choosing companies that reflect your blog because I got 2 companies came to me asking would I like to try out their products, both were clothing brands and I'm not a fashion blogger!

    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand that! If you're not into fashion, why blog about it?

      Delete
  3. Some great advice and things I think we should all remember. I have never worked with any brands, recently I was asked to talk about mens underwear (I didn't really understand what they wanted me to do) but I was just like umm, nah not relevant haha! x

    Sinead | GIVEAWAY - imPress Nails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha isn't it crazy sometimes!? Really, what in the world would you have said about mens underwear? They look nice? haha

      Delete
  4. I've so far had 0 experience with working with brands so this is a great post to bear in mind in the future for me! Really great tips. Maybe one day you could do a post on how to get work with brands in general? Just an idea :)

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very thorough guide to working with brands, Renee :) I think at the beginning of bloggers' journeys, it's difficult to know what is the norm, so this post should help shed some light on that issue. One thing I would add, is for bloggers to check online reviews of companies before accepting payment to write about them.. some really dodgy (red flags everywhere) companies/brands have had a lot of blog coverage lately I've noticed!!

    Have a lovely week :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Always check out the company beforehand!

      Delete
  6. Really good post! I agree with all the above! I have had some funny people contact me and then as soon as I say will I be credited with my blog they don't email back or they just want me to send links out all the time. I will post once and only once not 15 times a day!

    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that annoying!? I had one company email me reluctantly asking what social media platforms I'd share their website on and I told them numerous times I only had my blog. Some people just don't get it! haha

      Delete
  7. What a great post, Renee. These are great tips and I agree incredibly with 4. It sickens me that there are companies who think it is ethical to work with bloggers, expect coverage and not give the blogger their due. Loved this!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, so many companies try to play bloggers! Its terrible!

      Delete
  8. Great post! I agree with everything you've said. It's so important to only work with companies who reflect your brand otherwise readers will see right through it and start to question everything you do. Also, it's just not fun for me to use my time creating a post about something I don't care about. I heard from a company that wanted me to promote their wedding and bridesmaid dresses. I'm not a wedding blogger, I'm not even engaged let alone planning a wedding...heck, I wasn't even invited to any weddings around that time, so I was very confused ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! I was also contacted by a wedding company (wouldn't surprise me if it were the same one) I obviously didn't accept it but the demands from them were just crazy!

      Delete
  9. Quite interesting and helpful... ♥♥

    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete