December 5, 2015

Blogmas Day 5 | How I'm Going to Have a Stress-Free Christmas


As much as it sucks to admit it - Christmas can be one of the most stressful times of year. I know I generally feel more stressed around this time. It's too bad really because the holidays are meant to be enjoyed. This year Craig and I have decided we are going to make this Christmas stress-free and enjoyable. And this is how i'm going to do it:

I'm only buying presents for the children in our family.
That means I only have to worry about picking up 6 presents. Toys to be precise. Toys are also on the cheaper side. Which is a bonus. We decided this after last Christmas because it was just too much. We just couldn't afford it but when it comes to Christmas you kind of feel like you have to get everyone a present. You fall into the mindset of - Well, I can't buy her a present and not buy him a present so now I have to buy that person a present. It's never-ending! Over the last few years we were literally buying presents for 18 people. Sometimes more when someone who I never even thought about would come to me and say "Oh, I picked you up something for Christmas. You don't have to get me anything though!" Oh okay, i'll just feel like a bag of crap when I open my present from you.
I used to have to start my Christmas shopping in July just to be ready for Christmas. It was a nightmare. Well, not this year. We've told everyone in our family months ago- and remind them every time we talk- that we won't be giving out presents, only to the kids, and I have never felt better! Its such a huge weight lifted off of me and soon you start realizing that this is what Christmas is about. Enjoying the holiday. It shouldn't be about presents. Just spending time with your loved ones.

We're not traveling this Christmas.
This one makes me so happy. Every Christmas we normally have to make the 4.5 hour drive to Cape Breton to spend most of the holiday with Craig's family. While its nice to see all of your family over Christmas, the journey- usually snow covered- can be a bit annoying. No stress this year of getting everything packed into the car, worrying that you might hit a snowstorm on the way down, hoping that your car actually makes it down (we've had more than enough close calls with this one), and then just being somewhere other than "home" on Christmas. Sometimes its just nice to be in the comfort of your own home over the holidays, ya know? So that's exactly what we're doing this year!

We're not hosting Christmas dinner.
There's nothing that stresses me out more than inviting over all of our family and cooking food for them. I can't even cook that well! I think you have to really love hosting dinners in order to truly enjoy this one because if you've ever hosted a big Christmas dinner before you'll know that you don't get to relax the entire time. Between making sure you bought all of the food, literally taking hours to cook the dinner, making sure everyone else is fed before you, and just hoping that everyone is actually having a good time. It's stressful! So this year we'll either be going somewhere else for dinner or just cooking a dinner for two.

So there you have it! That's what i'm doing this year to feel as stress-free as possible and I must say, its working out pretty darn good! I'm just going to enjoy all of the wonderful things Christmas and the holiday season have to offer.

What about you? Do you normally stress over the holidays?



6 comments:

  1. LOVE how Xmassy your layout is! haha Looking super festive!

    Sounds like a fab holiday time for you too. We haven't done many gifts the past 5 or so year as we just can't afford it but like you are only buying for the kids, I only buy for the dog haha!
    I'm also glad to only have to travel about 2 miles to get to my parents and hopefully that will be in a taxi - if not it'll be a nice Christmas Day walk for Baker. Tying in with that I don't need to cook 'cause Mam will be haha!

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha why thank you!

      Your Christmas sounds like it will be as stress-free as mine! The way it should be! haha

      Delete
  2. Great post lovely! Great ways to be stress free this season! x
    a life of a charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have the agreement to only buy for the kids in the family... I've ended up buying so many presents this year compared to usual!

    Hollie | hollieshighlights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets pretty insane some years doesn't it!

      Delete