March 28, 2016

Re-Finished Dresser + How To Make Your Own Chalk Paint!

I finally feel like i'm getting somewhere when it comes to re-decorating our apartment. I kind of slacked off for a while there because we had decided that we were going to move soon and I thought, well, why would I finish doing this place over when we're just going to leave? I let this go on for a while and then decided I'd still like it to look nice for the time being even if we do plan to move come the summer. Our latest project was re-doing a dresser for our bedroom! I am so happy with the way it turned out. Our room is pretty small and having two dressers in there may not be ideal space-wise but I was kind of tired of sharing one dresser with Craig.


So this is the dresser. We bought this from a second hand store and I knew I needed it as soon as I saw it! I fell in love with the unique detailing. There was a price tag of $50 on it but the kind lady at the store gave it to us for only $30! So we took it home, sanded it down, made our own chalk paint for it ( i'll get into how we made ours soon!) and then varnished it. This is what it looks like now..


I am totally happy with how it turned out! I love how the black handles just pop against the white. For the handles we just used your typical black spray paint.

So making your own chalk paint is super easy! I love the look chalk paint gives furniture- kind of like a gritty, old look. And its perfect for those that want to distress furniture. I planned on distressing both of our dressers but in the end I preferred how it looked just like this. Anyway, chalk paint can be REAL expensive. Especially the Annie Sloan chalk paint which is really the only brand I could find around here. I think one quart was priced around $50.00!! I just couldn't do it. Considering we would need a lot more than that.

So here is the simple, inexpensive way to make your own:

Choose your latex paint- We went with Kitten White  (a slightly off-white shade) Around $22.00 for a gallon
Buy some Plaster of Paris- You can find this at your local hardware store. We paid less than $6.00 for a 2kg box.

That's all you need.

Mixing it is really simple as well. For every 1 cup of paint mix in 1/3 cup of plaster of paris. Add a bit of water until it becomes smooth and at the thickness you'd like. That's all! Overall it cost $28.00 and we still have tons of Plaster of Paris left and a bit of the paint left and that's after doing two dressers with it.


Hope you enjoyed this post!
Do you like re-doing old furniture?

40 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing :) I have a few furniture items I need to paint!

    xo Raina
    www.themamaqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love re-doing old items and giving them a new life! Great DIY tips, thank you for sharing! x

    Have a lovely day!

    itsnatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Its so much fun! No problem :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow it turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is completely amazing! You've utterly transformed that dresser! I'd love to do something like this but I don't think I'd have the patience or the creativity. None of my DIYs every really go to plan xx

    Beth | Alphabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I have NO patience when it comes to painting haha This dresser literally sat in my kitchen for like a month before we finished it!

      Delete
  5. Oh my god that dresser is GORGEOUS! Love how you redecorated it - it kind of looks modern yet vintage! Just perfect! Adds something so romantic to a room I think, good find :)

    Jess | Jess in Retrospect

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome! I love chalk paint :) I want to redo some chairs with it this summer.

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What color would you choose for your chairs?

      Delete
  7. That is pretty impressive. I love the finished look. It looks so expensive.

    Heba xx || The Heba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! It definitely wasn't! :)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely was NOT expecting that! Most DIY posts tend to only partially-transform something, however you really have completely transformed this dresser into something super special. Well done, I love it!! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you! haha It did turn out pretty nice!

      Delete
  9. This is such a cool DIY project!! Thanks for sharing!

    http://thecourtneydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. The dresser is totally rejuvenated & chic. I love the paint job. Chalk paint gives it so much potential. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! I love chalk paint.

      Delete
  11. That's the coolest DIY ever! Plus, it came out beautifully.

    nolongergrey.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dresser looks awesome!!

    www.maggiealamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, this looks great. I've been wanting to chalk paint my kitchen cabinets so I just might try this. But seriously, that before and after are amazing! What a gorgeous transformation.

    aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you end up painting them i'd love to see it!

      Delete
  14. You did such an amazing job! And what a great thrift shop find - I think I would have walked straight past it and not seen its potential. This is totally inspiring me to get DIYing and get my place looking cute!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really! As soon as my eye caught it I made a bee line for it! haha You totally should! Such a satisfying feeling when its completed :)

      Delete
  15. Oh wow... that looks amazing! The white and black loos so chic against each other and I love the traditional touch the handles give!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love the handles!

      Delete
  16. Love the results! Thanks for sharing this DIY.

    Mischelle
    http://www.nowthatschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks amazing! Like a new piece of furniture! ♡

    Happy Saturday! ~ Love from Slovakia ♥
    ♡ Yankee Candle ♡

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have made that look stunning Renee, it literally looks like it came from the shop that way, you should get in to a career of Furniture Make-overs or something!

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Beneath the Surface by Heidi Perks Book Review
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Meme! I've actually thought about that a few times before!

      Delete
  19. Wow the dresser looks amazing *_*

    Kisses
    Geri
    Geri Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. Furniture is really a important element of an office and home which add style and beauty. Thanks for sharing this beautiful Furniture. Read more

    ReplyDelete