April 8, 2016

How To Deal With Work Bullies

When I hear the word Bully the image of a school bully pops into my head. I think that's the case for most people. But along with school bullies and cyber bullying, there's one other type of bullying that is very prominent in the adult world- Work Bullying. 

Work bullying happens all the time, in a whole slew of different careers. Whether from a boss or a co-worker I'm sure at some point we've all experienced being bullied at work. I know I have. At just about every job to be quite honest. If you haven't experienced bullying at your work place you may be wondering how does an adult allow themselves to become bullied? You may have that traditional image in your head of bullying being one person picking on another, calling them names, beating them up etc. But bullying comes in a lot of different forms.

A few common forms of bullying that happens in the workplace are Humiliation, Intimidation, Harassment, Mocking, Insults, Domination- the list goes on. If you work with someone who seems to purposely make your life a living hell while you're at work, then yes, you are a victim of workplace bullying. Read on for some tips on how to deal with work bullies.

Do not blame yourself
First and foremost, do not blame yourself for a bullies actions. Especially if you know you are working hard and doing what you're supposed to be doing. You are not the reason for another person being cruel. 

Do not let them make you feel guilty
This is one I have struggled with a lot. Learn how to say no. If you know that a boss or co-worker is taking advantage of you because they know you won't say no to them, they will just keep doing it. Set your boundaries straight from the get-go and let them know you won't be easily taken advantage of. This is something I wish I had done when starting any of my jobs. I ended up doing a lot of things that I didn't want to do or didn't feel comfortable with because I was constantly made to feel guilty for not wanting to do it. Just remember, they're most likely trying to make you feel guilty only because they themselves don't want to do whatever it is they're asking you to do. Learn to say no in a professional and respectful way and hopefully they'll back off once they see you mean business. 

Let a superior know what's going on
I know this might sound silly and like you're a child running to an adult for help but its always good to let your boss know that a certain employee is giving you a hard time. Maybe that employee has also been harassing another co-worker that was too afraid to tell someone. Or maybe your job performance is less than perfect because that person is constantly giving you a hard time. Your boss will most likely appreciate you coming to them and will handle the matter. Unless of course your boss is the one doing the bullying, which leads us too....

Confront the bully
If you can build up enough courage to confront the person who has been bullying you, whether its your boss or a co-worker, things should hopefully calm down. Maybe the bully doesn't even realize that they are in fact bullying you. Maybe they have some stresses at home that they are taking out on you. Sitting down and letting the person know they've been treating you unfairly and that you won't stand for it anymore just might open their eyes. Because honestly, bullies feel powerful when nobody stands up against them. 

I hope these tips were at least a little bit helpful. If not you can always be like me and suffer in silence everyday until you eventually leave without ever speaking your mind! ( I'm totally kidding, don't be like me!!) But seriously, my biggest piece of advice would be to set your boundaries straight away and don't become a pushover. And never be the one who bullies other people at work cause that just isn't cool.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Have you ever experienced workplace bullying?
How did you resolve it?


16 comments:

  1. I experienced workplace bullying, I was lucky because I managed to go back to my previous team where I have friends, but just one b*tchy woman was making my work life a hell with her mean attitude...being at peace is so important ! Great post, kisses

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion & beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh isn't that terrible. It only takes one person to ruin your day!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post, Renee! I know a lot of people who experienced work bullying and I'm sure these tips would've really helped them xx
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its terrible the way some people are treated!

      Delete
  3. I totally love your post Renee! I agree with everything. Bully has many forms but never feel bad about yourself as long as you know you're doing the right things and you're doing the best you can. Great post! I like your advices :)

    trulyfionaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Fiona! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I agree with your points! Workplace bullying is fortunately not something I have to deal with often, but it has happened every once in a while. Last guy I just fought back because I was soooo tired of his BS. Then he quit. It was a win.

    aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha awesome! I wish I were able to stand up to them!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post! This is very helpful... Thank you for sharing! =)
    - Cielo

    Follow me on Mermaid in Heels
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Work bullies are awful! I actually quit a couple jobs because of them haha Hope your week is filled with only nice people :)

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that really sucks! My days have been pretty great since going on my mat leave! haha (no bullies to deal with) :)

      Delete
  7. Great tips! I am so lucky that I haven't had to deal with any work bullies. I actually work with a bunch of guys, they're all mechanics and I work in the stockroom where they get parts for whatever work/project they are working on, and thankfully they are all nice! I feel like that would not be the case if they were girls, girls can be so much more full of drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg working with all men would be a breeze compared to all women! Some girls can be so catty!

      Delete