April 22, 2016

Popsugar Reading Challenge Update #1

Back in January I posted about the 2016 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I decided I would post an update after I read 5 books from the challenge instead of doing 40 individual posts on each one. You can check out the challenges by clicking here!


























1| A MURDER MYSTERY- INVISIBLE by JAMES PATTERSON
I don't know if you'd actually classify this as a 'murder mystery' but the book was filled with murders and they had to figure out who was doing the killing so that sounds like a murder mystery to me. This book was about a woman named Emma who spent her days trying to find out her sisters killer. Everyone else thinks she's a little crazy because there was no evidence of foul play but Emma is convinced and she soon uncovers the truth.

2| A BOOK FROM OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB- THE ROAD by CORMAC MCCARTHY
Such a great book! A little unnerving in parts but such a good read. A man and his son set out on a journey to warmer climate after the world is left in ruin. I can't even really describe this novel. All I can say is I highly recommend reading it.

3| A BOOK THAT'S BECOMING A MOVIE THIS YEAR- LIBRARY OF SOULS by RANSOM RIGGS
This is the third instalment of the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series. I know there is going to be a Miss Peregrine movie coming out this year and I just assumed it would include bits from all 3 books. Maybe it won't but the way the novels are written I can't see them just ending the movie the way the first book ended. They all kind of roll into one another. Besides that I'm pretty sure Tim Burton is directing it and if i'm correct, he doesn't usually do '3 part' movies so I can see him incorporating the whole series into one movie. Who knows though!

4| A BOOK RECOMMENDED BY A FAMILY MEMBER- SEE ME by NICHOLAS SPARKS
I don't think I've read a Nicholas Sparks book that I didn't love! Including this one. This was, however, my first time reading a Nicholas Sparks book that didn't make me cry! It was what you'd expect from one of his novels- a romance. But! This one also had a lot of action and suspense which I wasn't expecting from him. A girl falls for a guy who wouldn't typically be her type- she's a lawyer and he is someone who had a lot of trouble with the law. Throughout the book a former client of hers seems to be stalking her. Its really good!

5| A YA BESTSELLER- THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by JOHN GREEN
I don't think I need to tell anyone about this book. I'm sure everyone and their grandmother has read it by now! I will say though, I feel like maybe I just don't get it with some things. Like, there's a lot of things that the world seems to rave about and I just don't like them. I'm not saying I didn't like this book but it certainly wasn't the amazing novel I was expecting. I don't know, maybe it was just too hyped up by the time I actually got around to reading it but it sort of fell flat for me. Or maybe its because I truly don't like reading/watching anything that has to do with cancer. Scares me a little. Let me know your thoughts on the book- was it as good as you were hoping or were you slightly disappointed like me?

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. I have not and WILL not read a fault in our stars. My heart I don't think is able for it haha. And what's this, a James Patterson book I haven't read... hmmmmm interesting... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off on reading it for that exact reason! haha I just can't take anything cancer related, especially if young people are involved. Although, unfortunately, the book itself didn't really do it for me :/

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such a fun reading challenge! I've been trying to read more lately too but I usually just grab what's on my bookshelf!

    http://thecourtneydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm straying a little from the challenge myself lol! I have other books that I want to read that don't fit the challenges!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'll have to give the movie a go! See if I like that any better!

      Delete
  4. Aw I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars <3 I really want to read The Road, too!
    www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should read it! So good :)

      Delete
  5. I read The Road for school back in high school, so maybe it's tainted because of the academic aspect (it was required summer reading, if I remember correctly), but I did still think it was a great book! And I COMPLETELY agree about TFIOS! I had the same reaction. I didn't /hate/ it, but I didn't love it. I had just expected so much more by the time I got around to reading it and it just... wasn't it.

    Via Sora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!! I held off on reading it for so long and when I was finished I was just like...meh :/ haha!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read or watched the fault in our stars yet, but a lot of things that get hyped up are always a disappointment for me. I haven't been reading as much as I would like, but I'm getting there... I think the last nicholas spark book I read was Dear John... the next book I am getting ready to read is Me Before You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved reading Dear John, so much better than the movie! I haven't heard of Me Before You!

      Delete