April 24, 2016

PREGNANCY DIARY | Attack of the Cold Sore

Sunday, April 17th- I had a fantastic day. I can't remember exactly everything I did that day but there was ice cream involved so I know it had to be a good day. I followed Craig to bed that night and settled in reading a book while he drifted off to sleep. I was getting sleepy myself and was ready to turn in for the night when I felt it. A tightening of my bottom lip. I gave it a little lick and was horrified when I felt that old familiar bump. I jumped out of bed- more like rolled- and waddled my way to the bathroom mirror. There it was. A cold sore- just my luck.

I honesty couldn't believe that a cold sore had popped out. Now, I'm no newbie to getting them, in fact I've had plenty throughout my life. But, I've been cold sore free for the past three years and quite frankly, I was enjoying it. Here's a little background history:

I was the unfortunate victim of the cold sore virus at the young age of eight. So no, I did not catch a cold sore from kissing any boys or anything like that. I most likely caught the virus from drinking from a glass or something of the sort from someone else who had one. Sucks to be me. After that initial outbreak the virus lay dormant for some time. I didn't get another cold sore until I was sixteen. That's when it all went downhill. From the age of sixteen until twenty-two, I had at least one cold sore every year. They usually popped up in January- don't ask me why but I'm guessing it had a lot to do with the colder weather starting and the drying and cracking of my lips usually started around then. I remember my last cold sore. January of 2013. I know this because I decided to mark down the date so I could know exactly how long I could go without getting another one. By some miracle, I was no longer getting them once a year. The virus decided once again to lay dormant for over three years.

So why now? After three glorious years of having sore-free lips, why did they have to return? Well, I found out the culprit. Pregnancy. 

Yep, after doing some research on it, it turns out pregnancy is a favorite time for cold sores to rear their ugly heads. What with your hormones being all out of whack during this time- as if that already wasn't bad enough. I've even read a couple of stories from other women that experienced their very first cold sores while being pregnant.

I guess you could say I've been feeling a little down this week. A lot of people think- what's the big deal? It's just a cold sore. It's not the end of the world. But that's the thing, its always felt like a big deal to me. My confidence levels aren't very high on a good day so throwing a cold sore into the mix really brings me down. Even though nobody is paying attention to what's on my face, it always feels like everyone is staring at me. It makes me feel like a walking disease.

But! To be completely honest this time around wasn't all that bad. I still felt gross but I have a few secret weapons I use to battle cold sores that usually shorten the life span of the cold sore by at least a week. I actually wrote a post about those secret weapons long ago that you can find here.

So its been a week and its almost gone. Not completely but it isn't exactly noticeable any more, so I'm happy. I just hope that was the only one I get during this pregnancy!

Have you ever experienced cold sores? What do you use to treat them?


16 comments:

  1. That must be awful! I would hate having cold sores. Glad you have found some secret weapons to help fight them off, though. Hope you feel back to normal soon!

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its definitely looking better thats for sure :)

      Delete
  2. I have never had a cold sore, I'm sorry you got one! But I'm glad it's almost gone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely one of the lucky ones! But yes, its near gone now :)

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I've never hard a cold sore but I know they are terrible! I hope you're getting better <3

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are terrible :/ Its pretty well gone now though :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. amazing post :)
    please follow my blog : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my good friends is pregnant too and she can definitely relate. Congrats honey!
    Happy Monday!
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I was the same, pregnancy brought back many lovely things for me, especially chilblains haha xD I hope you have a lovely week and the coldsores bother you less! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your week is lovely as well :) & thank you!

      Delete
  7. I've never had a cold sore but I can understand why they would make you self conscience. I used to get a humongous spot on my nose when I was a teenager, I looked like rudolph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny how the smallest things can make us feel self conscious!

      Delete
  8. Ah, I'm sorry to hear your cold sores have returned - though at least its pretty much on its way out now, yay! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete