April 26, 2016

Why I Started Blogging



























I started blogging a little over a year and a half ago and it occurred to me that I've never talked about why I started blogging.

I WANTED TO STEP OUTSIDE OF MY COMFORT ZONE
I have been shy my entire life. Being shy has held me back from doing quite a lot of things throughout my life. I started watching Youtube a few years ago and I always envied the people I watched because they were so comfortable with themselves and putting their lives on the internet for the world to see. A few of the Youtubers I watched at the time also had blogs and so I started reading their blogs as well as watching their videos. I remember thinking how awesome it would be to write a blog. It didn't matter if anyone else saw it. Heck, in the beginning I think I would have preferred if no one saw it! As time went on and the more blogs I read, I couldn't stop thinking about starting my own blog. I knew I wanted to do it but I was so afraid! Why? I don't know. I think I was petrified of putting myself out there. One day I casually brought up the subject of starting a blog to my boyfriend and he thought it would be a cool idea. With that I thought, yeah, I can do this! I don't need to tell anyone about my blog. I just want to do it for me! So I took the plunge and pushed myself to set up a blogger account. 

I WANTED MY OWN SPACE TO SHARE MY INTERESTS
I love telling people about my days. I love talking about what I did that day, where I went, new places I've been to eat, etc. Not always, but sometimes, I feel like the people in my life aren't very interested in the same things as me. For example I love going to museums. Other than Craig, the rest of my family members don't view going to the museums as very much fun so when I talk about them, its kind of like 'oh, well that's nice'. With my blog I feel like I have the freedom to express any interests I have and there's bound to be at least one person who feels the same way. And even if there's not, I still feel okay posting about those interests anyway because this is my space. I'll know that I can always look back on special moments or places I've visited because I have them documented on this blog. 

I LIKED THE IDEA OF DESIGNING MY BLOG
One of the things that excited me the most about starting a blog was being able to design it myself. I'm certainly not a professional designer by any means but its just something I find a lot of joy in. I can literally sit down for hours coming up with a new look, designing a new header and learning all kinds of new html codes. I just love it! If you're a long time reader of my blog you definitely know how much I change the look of my blog! (Just for fun you can check out this post I wrote a few months ago sharing all of the different headers my blog went through in just one year of blogging!) I think it takes me back to the good ol' piczo website days. Does anyone remember making those websites? I would spend forever trying to learn html codes for it! 

LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS WHY YOU STARTED BLOGGING! IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BLOG, HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO START ONE BUT WERE TOO SHY LIKE I WAS? 


12 comments:

  1. Your blog is always a pleasure to read!
    I feel the same way. I could literally live in a museum! Hahaha And designing the blog helps give a sense of accomplishment because the fact of the matter is that many people still don't know how to design a blog! Here's to many more years of blogging and sharing!<33

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Adi!! :)
      Yay! So happy to find some who shares my love for museums! haha

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blog Renee... I'm pretty shy too and started my blog without sharing it publicly for quite some time! I love following other peoples lives, and I've loved reading about your pregnancy and I'm looking forward to seeing your adventures in motherhood :)

    Hollie | hollieshighlights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Hollie :) Thats so kind! Do the people in your 'real life' know about your blog now?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm I've mentioned to my mum that I have a blog but I don't think she knows the link. I think the only person in my life that sees my actual blog is my cousin because she's a blogger too. I don't leave links to my blog on my 'real life' social media, but I imagine it's not too hard to find if you look hard enough.

      Delete
    3. haha yeah I don't leave links anywhere either!

      Delete
  3. I love these kinds of posts where I learn a little more about the person behind it! And you're always making such creative little tweaks to this blog, you've clearly learnt some skills!
    I started blogging because I loved reading them and I really love writing! And there's not much more to it than that!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & I am so glad you have a blog because your writing is fabulous! Definitely one of my top blogs to read!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I just started blogging again and had to start a new blog. I love designing my own blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some great reasons as to why you started blogging! I think I started for the same reasons, particularly wanting to have a space to write about my interests. I also thought it would be a fun creative outlet. Basically blogging rocks and i'm so glad I took the plunge and got into it :)
    Holly x | http://www.thechroniclesofholly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I couldn't imagine not blogging now!

      Delete