May 19, 2016

But What If I Don't Want A Niche?



























You see it everywhere. Why You Need A Blogging Niche, Why Having A Niche Is Important For Your Blogs Growth, etc. And from what I see, yes, having a specific niche tends to attract more readers. But what if I don't want to choose a niche? Am I hurting my blog by doing so?

First, for those of you who may not know what a niche is here's a quick little Google definition:

Niche blogging is the act of creating a blog with the intent of using it to market to a particular niche market. Niche blogs may appeal to "geographic areas, a specialty industry, ethnic or age groups, or any other particular group of people."

To put it simply- a "beauty blog" focuses on beauty posts, a "fashion blog" focuses on fashion posts and so on. You have one main topic to write about. 


Having a niche can be so beneficial for your blog. Mainly for growing a reliable audience. People like finding blogs that cater to their interests. If a person wants to return to a blog daily for fitness inspiration, they're most likely going to follow a fitness blog. They like knowing that whenever they feel the need for that boost of inspiration they can always pop onto that fitness blog and find a post that relates to them. For this reason, people are more likely to hit that follow button.


Some other benefits to having a niche include:


RETURN VISITORS. Going hand in hand with the audience growth, niche blogs will often have better success with return visitors to their blog. When you cover a variety of topics on your blog it can be really hard to keep loyal readers. If someone came across your blog because your last post was all about blogging tips and it really helped them, they may follow. Then say the next time they come on your blog looking for more tips they see a post all about the delicious pancakes you made for breakfast that morning. That really doesn't help them and they may feel like following your blog is a waste of their time. 


MONETIZING YOUR BLOG WILL BE EASIER. If making money is a goal you want to achieve with your blog, dealing with a specific niche would be the best option for you. Ad networks or even sponsors look for blogs that target what they're selling. If a company wants to post an ad to a blog about their new mascara they will most likely go for the blog that writes about beauty every day instead of the blog that may only write one beauty post every couple of months. 


CONTENT FLOWS EASIER. From what I read, dealing with one topic is much easier for coming up with content as you restrict yourself and have an easier time setting certain blogging boundaries. With a niche-less blog it can sometimes feel overwhelming trying to come up with an idea for a post. But when you have only one topic to concentrate on, the ideas may flow a lot easier. 


Now after reading all of those wonderful benefits to having a specific blogging niche, a person may ask, why wouldn't you want to choose a niche? And I agree. Choosing a niche sounds like the only sane thing to do when it comes to your blog. My only answer to that is simple: I just don't want a niche. 


Sure coming up with ideas can be hard at times and my blog suffers when I go a week or more without publishing any content.


Sure my follower count takes ages to go up by one person and only minutes to go down by three.


But I don't want to limit myself to what I can write about on my own blog. I didn't start this blog to gain followers, I didn't start this blog to earn an income. I started this blog because I wanted my own space to write about whatever the heck I wanted to write about! 


Some days I want to share my latest beauty buys or the book I'm currently reading. Other days I feel like getting more personal and chatting all about my little bun in the oven! I like having the freedom to express whatever I'm feeling that day. And that's okay. 


Not every blog needs to choose a niche. You write about what makes you happy! 



DOES YOUR BLOG HAVE A NICHE? 
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON IT?




8 comments:

  1. Well bloody said! I sometimes worry about being nicheless too and then I remind myself that yep, I too started my blog to write about whatever the heck I wanted to, whatever needed to come out of my brain. I think enforcing a niche to gain followers is a bit (lot) limiting. Also, I don't think I know enough about one single thing to do it justice!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I think I would have grown tired of even having this blog if I chose to only write about one certain topic! How boring!

      Delete
  2. I love this! This is part of the reason that I take such long breaks between posts. I don't want to feel like I have to write a certain type of post just because my blog has a certain niche! I like not fitting into all the other blog types, it makes me feel like my little space on the internet is truly my own!
    Amanda | Amanda Gouthro 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes for sure!! I've actually witnessed how much better my blog stats are when I write about a certain topic but its just not me. I can't limit myself to talking about one thing only!

      Delete
  3. Yes to this!! So many posts are cropping up saying 'how to find your blogging niche' like, no? I don't want to be stuck with one thing to write about, I want many.

    Katie | Words By Katie

    ReplyDelete