May 27, 2016

PREGNANCY | Benefits of Lemon Water During Pregnancy


























I'm sure you've seen a million and one posts praising lemon water and all of the amazing benefits that come along with drinking it. And for good reason. It does have amazing benefits and it tastes pretty darn great too!

This post is for the pregnant ladies out there (and maybe those who aren't pregnant but are curious) who wonder about certain foods they can and can't have while pregnant.

I was constantly wondering about the foods I could and couldn't eat during this pregnancy and you hear different answers from everyone. Lemon water is something I truly enjoy drinking and while its only lemons in some water I wanted to be sure it would be okay to have! After doing some research of my own, I am here to tell you that lemon water is not only okay to have during pregnancy, its actually pretty darn beneficial!

- Lemons contain lots of vitamin C that helps greatly when it comes to your immune system and helps fight nausea and vomiting. Huge bonus for morning sickness!

- Lemons are packed with substances that help lower blood pressure

- Lemons help stimulate digestion- something I can definitely agree with!- which helps combat constipation (something that a lot of women suffer with while being pregnant).

- Bringing it back to the vitamin C, with a boost in your immune system its easier to fight off colds and flus.

- Aside from being super rich in vitamin C, lemons contain an abundance of essential vitamins and minerals needed during pregnancy like; flavonoids, B-complex vitamin, vitamin A, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, niacin, vitamin E and riboflavin. These are all nutrients needed for the growth and development of your unborn baby. 

With all of those great benefits I couldn't see why I wouldn't drink lemon water daily while being pregnant. Now for myself, I only drink one glass of lemon water a day (if I have the lemons handy). That seems to be good enough for me.

Like everything there are a few things to be cautious about:

Drinking lemon water may cause heartburn. Heartburn is so typical when pregnant though. Honestly I've had extreme heartburn pretty much my entire pregnancy and drinking one glass of lemon water doesn't really add to it. I have it constantly anyway so...

Also, due to the acid in lemons you have the risk of tooth enamel weakening which is a risk drinking lemon water while you're pregnant or not. Apparently pregnant women are more susceptible to de-calcification though so if you drink lemon water daily just be sure to drink a glass of regular water after your lemon water or gargle and rinse afterward.

DO YOU ENJOY DRINKING LEMON WATER? 
WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO DRINK IT DURING PREGNANCY?



6 comments:

  1. Lemon water is so healthy and delicious! Love the benefits! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon water is amazing for everyone always - I used to drink a glass every morning but I stopped a while back. I need to pick up that habit again though - it's a good one!
    - Ambar | Her Little Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! And I find it so refreshing!

      Delete
  3. Ahh I love lemon water!! This is all I drink at restaurants too! Thanks for all the great reminders of the benefits! <3

    xo Raina
    www.themamaqueen.com

    ReplyDelete