June 14, 2016

My Labour & Delivery Story

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I'd like to write about my labour and delivery. I know all of my posts lately have involved Lux but hey, that's my life now! I'll get back to writing other posts soon. I'm always interested in reading about other peoples labour and delivery stories because every one is so different but similar all at the same time.

As most of you long-term readers know, I always keep this space very real. Very honest. So that's what I intend to do with this post. I'll be getting into all of the nitty gritty details so if that's not something you want to be reading today, I suggest clicking off now! For the rest of you who are curious as to how it all went down...here we go!

I woke up on May 31st around 3:30 am with pains that I knew were different than the braxton hicks I was feeling a couple of days beforehand. The pain didn't hurt exactly. It was just uncomfortable. These pains kept up for a few hours so by 8:00 am we decided to go to the hospital.

I was concerned because I wasn't feeling the baby move a whole lot that day so when they took me up to the assessment room (yes, they have a place where they "assess" your labour and they decide if you should be admitted to the hospital or not- regardless of pain) they hooked me up to the machine that tracks the baby's heartbeat and my contractions. Thankfully the baby was okay. Its normal for them to move less at the end because one, they have very little room and two, they're getting ready to come into the world. But note that if you feel absolutely no movement from them over the course of an hour- get to a hospital.

So the nurse checked my cervix and I was only maybe half a centimetre dilated. I was pretty bummed because I thought things were actually moving along. I had to stay a bit longer though just so they could continue watching the baby's heartbeat. A doctor then came in to see me and when she checked my cervix- which by the way really hurts when you're having contractions- she decided she would do a sweep. A sweep is when she uses her fingers to scrape away some of the membrane around your cervix in hopes to jump start labour. It hurt, I bled- but it worked. Within a half an hour I was dilated to 3 cm.

At this time she told us to leave and take a walk for about an hour or two to see if that would speed things along. I got some food because I was starving by this time and they told me to eat now because I wouldn't be allowed to eat once I was admitted. We came back after two hours and when I was checked again I was still only 3 cm dilated. I was then sent home.

I remember feeling angry that I was sent home because my contractions were already hurting, I didn't want to be at home when they got worse. And boy did they ever. It didn't take long before they started coming on stronger. I decided to get a hot bath because people say it helps ease the pain- uhhh, nope. Not for me anyway. Pretty soon my contractions were coming on really strong and only about 5 minutes apart. There were definitely some tears by this point. Labour pains were unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I can't even describe what it feels like. I thought with all of the pains I've endured over the years regarding my digestive system that I would be able to handle labour pains no problem. Well, I proved myself wrong. These pains were a million times worse.

Around 7 pm it was time to head back to the hospital. Luckily for me I was now 5 cm dilated which meant I would be admitted.

My whole plan was to do it all naturally. No epidural, no pain meds. Well let me tell you, the second the nurse said I was admitted I asked how soon can I have the epidural! I near cried with joy when she said she could have the anaesthesiologist there within minutes.

I was wheeled down to the delivery room and began getting prepped for the epidural. I was really nervous because they said it would be real uncomfortable getting the needle to freeze the area- I didn't know how much more pain I could take. Honestly, the whole epidural process was a piece of cake. I barely even felt it compared to the contractions I was feeling. It was like instant relief. I couldn't believe how fast it worked. It was really the best choice I made because the rest of my labour was so much more relaxed.


























The rest of my labour moved along slowly but surely and finally my water broke. I can't remember the exact time but it was sometime early in the morning on June 1st. I was then hooked up to oxytocin which is used to speed up labour.

Finally, at 5:50 am I was 10 cm dilated and was able to start pushing. With the epidural, the pushing didn't hurt at all.

There was a slight issue during my delivery. The baby was face up instead of face down. Apparently a few things can go wrong when this happens- a really hard labour, baby can become distressed, increased chance of the cord becoming wrapped around their necks. It was pretty scary. After pushing for a bit they decided it would be best if they assisted the baby by either forceps or the vacuum. As soon as I heard them say forceps I was determined to get my baby out on my own. I had heard way too many horror stories about baby's skulls being crushed and I didn't want anything to happen to my baby. They decided to set up the vacuum instead of forceps. While they were setting it up I pushed and pushed with all my might. I needed to get the baby out.

Within minutes that baby's head was popping out! The doctors were saying oh! maybe we don't need the vacuum, push! push! So I did. And out she came.

One of the few times I've actually felt proud of myself.


She was perfect. My body on the other hand, was not. Because she was born face up, I tore really bad. I only pushed for a half an hour total. My delivery was super quick considering the circumstances. The stitching process lasted 45 minutes! That's how bad it was. They said I needed stitches in layers where as normally there's a single slit they cut that needs to be stitched. 

Soon after I was then sent up to my room where I would spend the next two days. Because of my "unique tearing" (that's the words the doctors chose) I was unable to pee. Which meant no leaving the hospital until I did. To make a long story and 4 catheter insertions short- I was sent home with a leave in catheter for a week. 

There's one thing no one ever tells you about having a baby. You hear all about pregnancy, you hear how hard and painful labour is. But no one ever says that after you give birth sucks big time. 

Not everyone is the same but in my case I had a ton of stitches that left me feeling like I could barely move, you bleed anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks after, I had a catheter stuck in my pee hole, my feet were still swelling and I had to take care of a newborn. It was rough at first. 

I cried just about everyday out of frustration. 

Overtime everything gets easier though. Five days after coming home I was able to have the catheter removed. About two days later my feet were finally back to normal. Even though my stitches are still uncomfortable, I can now move around a lot easier. I'm hoping to be 100% in the next two weeks. 

So that's it. That was my experience. Sorry this was such a long post! 

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :)

12 comments:

  1. It's great to know the epidural isn't as scary as everyone makes out! And your tearing and after-birth experience sounds so scary! Glad to know you're okay now.

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god no! The epidural was so easy compared to the labour pains! Although I think most people get an epidural when they reach around 3 cm. I had gotten to 5 cm before getting one so maybe if I had of gotten one around 3 cm when the pains weren't quite as bad I would have felt more pain with the epidural, who knows!

      Delete
  2. What a great post Renee :) Well done!
    Lux really is gorgeous and I can't wait to see/read more about her! :)

    Natalie Ann xo | Petal Poppet Blogs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done Renee! Glad to hear that the epidural wasn't as bad as you were anticipating, and that you're feeling a bit better each day. I can't imagine how overwhelming the whole experience was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a lot more to it than Oh! I just had a baby! haha

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, you are so brave and so strong Renee. This must have been exhausting, and so painful but my, what a journey it is to have such a beautiful, perfect baby girl. To which, I hope I will not experience for a long time! Haha! I'm only 18, I don't want a baby just yet but I applaud every single beautiful person who goes through with one. Congrats on your beautiful baby once again <3

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much Bash :) She was definitely worth every bit of it !

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on giving birth! You've been through labour now so just always remember how strong you are! Also keep us updated on what you decide to name the baby... she's so cute!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I've actually already written a post introducing the baby. Her name is Lux :)

      Delete
  6. Good job dear! You're a tough cookie :) I can't imagine going through contractions and labor - makes me a little nervous and sick just thinking about it! haha

    Your baby is beautiful - congrats!

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely more painful than I expected but it was totally worth it having her in the end :)

      Delete