July 20, 2016

STORYTIME | How Lux Got Her Name


I have been obsessed with names for as long as I can remember. I've been picking out my future children's names since I was about 13. Up until last year, just before I got pregnant, I had a list saved on my computer compiled of a bunch of names I loved for both girls and boys.

It was really hard in the beginning choosing a girls name. Since we kept the gender a surprise we needed to be ready with both a girl and boy name. We had the boy name picked out within the first week of finding out I was pregnant. Beau Isaac was the name we chose (pronounced like bow in bow-tie). I was set on that name since I was about 16 years old. It literally took months for us to agree on a girls name. Everything I had suggested was turned down.

The name Lux was introduced to us a few years ago from a show called Life Unexpected. It used to be on Netflix. Not sure if it still is but you should check because its an amazing show!

Anyway, while we were watching that show we both agreed that we loved the name Lux and would possibly use it in the future if we ever had a daughter. But when the time came to come up with a name, Lux was just kind of passed by without much thought.

One day, Craig said "I think if we have a girl we should just name her Lux" and I was like "Okay!"

So we had the first name but we were at a complete loss for a middle name that went with it.

Now the story is about to get a little weird but that's okay. .

A few months before I found out I was pregnant I started finding hearts everywhere. 

At work peeling potatoes the peelings would fall down on me in the shape of a heart, my pie dough would fall in heart shapes, my food would look like hearts, wash cloths would fall from the washer perfectly heart shaped...everywhere.hearts.



I told a woman I worked with about the hearts and started showing them to her every time I found one just so I didn't sound like I was going crazy. One day she said to me "You're going to have a baby". I was like "No way! Why do you think that?" and she told me that's why I was finding so many hearts. Someone was trying to come to me. And sure enough, about a month later, I was pregnant. I continued finding hearts all throughout my pregnancy and I just felt like it was a sign. I decided that I wanted to come up with a middle name that related to the hearts. That's where Hartley came from. And from then on, I just knew I was going to have a girl. To me there was a reason I was finding all these hearts and our girls name was now special because of it.

So that's it. That's how we decided on Lux Hartley. It might sound like a strange name to some people but that's okay. I like strange.

Hope you all have a beautiful day!
&
What are some of your favorite names?

26 comments:

  1. That's so adorable, I love name stories! I was named after a character in my mum's favourite children's book. I really loved Willow for a girl (massive Buffy fan) but then everyone started using the name! I think if I have children I'll have to re-think! x
    Holly ∣ Closingwinter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the name Willow! So pretty!

      Delete
  2. I loved Life Unexpected and thought the same thing about the name Lux, it's such a lovely name <3

    Laura x | http://pale-girl-reviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love it! Its different!

      Delete
  3. Such an amazing and beautiful story. Is it weird I genuinely almost teared up reading about those hearts?! That's so amazing and what a perfect name!!!!

    Katie xx ¦ lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so sweet!! :) Thank you xx

      Delete
  4. That's such a pretty name! The story about the hearts is so cute... so magical how everything just fell into place!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely blog post!! had a great read <3 thanks for sharing



    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    ZoellaLook


    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I looove the name and the reasoning behind it!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute name! Love the story behind it <3

    xo,

    aikocunanan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! such a lovely story! That woman is genius lol!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes she is! Bit of a gypsy she was!

      Delete
  9. Great post, and great blog!

    http://ivafdiary.blogspot.ba/#_=_

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best story I have ever heard in my life! I love it, it's just so cute and magical!
    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally watched a few episodes of Life Unexpected and similarly loved the name Lux! It has also been added to my name list. What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing xx

    zoemack.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a unique name! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  12. Life unexpected is one of my favorite shows on Netflix! I love the name Lux, I think it's really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! I loved that name as soon as I heard it! xx

      Delete
  13. I loved Life Unexpected, was so sad it got cancelled but I liked the entire show and all seasons. And loved the actress who played Lux. Lux is such a beautiful name and can totally understand why that inspired you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good show! I can't see why it was cancelled!

      Delete