August 9, 2016

Always Be Kind.


Today I want to talk a little bit about being kind. 

I've had a realization recently. A sort of wake up call I suppose. I've realized I'm not as kind as I could be. I can be mean sometimes, just like anyone else. I can speak before I think. I can be spiteful....

I'm human.

But the thing is, we can all control how we act. We can choose to be kind in certain situations. We can choose to forgive and move on when someone does something hurtful to us. We can choose to be nice.

There is of course a reason for this great realization. I have a story to share..

A cousin of mine, who I used to be very close to, had a stroke the other day. She lost her speech and the use of her left side for a while but she's okay for now. Her speech has returned and she can walk. It happened on the morning of her birthday.

I remember her birthday. I clearly remember seeing her birthday on Facebook and I clearly remember purposely not wishing her a happy birthday. Why you ask?

Because I was being spiteful.

We haven't been close in such a long time. We haven't even seen one another in about 10 years. I remember thinking; Why should I wish her a happy birthday? She never wishes me a happy birthday. She barely ever speaks to me. 

But now I wish I had taken the time to wish her a happy birthday. There was no actual reason why I shouldn't have. I was just being mean. I don't want to be that person.

Sure she may be okay, but what if she wasn't? I already feel guilty. Imagine how I would have felt if something worse happened.

This is why I want to be more kind, more thoughtful, more forgiving.

There's enough bad people in this world. If I can shed a little bit of sunshine on someone's day, i'll be happy.

You'll never regret being kind..
But you may regret not being kind.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a great, honest post I often find myself thinking bitchy thoughts about people who have hurt me and it makes me no better than them, it's definitely something I want to work on. Great post lovely, I related to it so much!

    Ella xx
    www.inellaselement.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you could relate <3 I definitely want to work on that too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely message, and a very positive one. We all have our moments, none of us are perfect, but I think if we try to make a conscious effort to be kinder we will find it makes us happier, as well as those that we are being kind to. <3

    Hayley-Eszti | www.hayleyeszti.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your cousin has her speech back. Lovely post, I couldn't agree more, the more we try to make others smile, the more we smile!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she seems to be doing well :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this post, Renee! Have just spotted your blog over at Bash's website & decided to pop over :) Thankful that I did!
    I couldn't agree more with you. This world needs more kindness and compassion. I am all about spreading this same message but most importantly, showing it. It's not an easy task sometimes as we do get angry/annoyed/upset/etc. but we are in control of our emotions and choices. The world needs more kindness, especially nowadays <3
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Its so easy to become upset and act out of anger. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. This is so very honest Renee and of course completely spot on. We're all just human and it's all too easy as a human being to be less than we would normally like to be. The fact that we're able to acknowledge and understand that and then put it right or change the way we behave is one of the best bits of being human!

    I always find too that when you make that conscious effort to put some good out into the world, it'll come back to you in droves.
    Hope your cousin is ok!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's wonderful because I plan on throwing lots of good out into the world from now on! :)

      Delete
  6. Love this post. It is so genuine and raw. So glad to have found your blog! the world does always need a little bit more kindness. Xx

    kynialikethecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete