August 23, 2016

Good Babies vs Bad Babies


























"Is she a good baby?"

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that question since having Lux. Everyone asks that question. Complete strangers ask that question. When they ask if she's a "good baby" they of course want to know; Does she cry a lot? Does she sleep throughout the night? Is she very fussy? Well, what if she does cry a lot? What if she is up all night? Does that mean I have a bad baby?

No. It doesn't.

It bothers me that people categorize babies in this way. If you tell them "oh, my baby is colicky" you're met with a look as if they feel sorry for you and insist that there must be something wrong with your baby. What some people fail to realize is that it isn't the baby's fault. They can't help that their bellies hurt or that they're so overtired they don't know what to do with themselves. Sure it gets frustrating but this is all part of the package. They need to be soothed and comforted. Not treated like there's something wrong with them.

Last week Lux had a doctors appointment to get her two month needles. To say she wailed after getting them is an understatement. I mean she bawled and cried for at least 20 minutes straight. You'd think she was being tortured by the amount of crying she did. There was this one lady in particular sitting in the waiting room who I swear was shooting daggers at me with her eyes. She continued staring at me and shaking her head. Did she think there was something wrong with Lux? Did she think I was doing something wrong as a parent? I don't know and honestly I really didn't care. The only thing I had on my mind at that moment was soothing my baby and making sure she was okay.

Sure Lux may have had a touch of colic and of course she gets fussy when she's hungry or tired but that only makes up a small portion of my amazing little girl.

She flashes me that big toothless grin countless times throughout the day. She sits and listens intently while I'm reading her books. She stares lovingly into my eyes and smiles as I'm singing her Part of Your World (her current favorite song) and she cuddles up and majority of the time sleeps throughout the whole night.

If that makes her a bad baby, well, I'll take that any day.

14 comments:

  1. I love how you see how much you care about Lux in the way you write <3
    http://www.britishmermaid.com/2016/08/think-pink.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, thanks for sharing - you're totally right though, no such thing as a good or bad baby, it completely depends!

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Every baby has their good and bad days! :)

      Delete
  3. You're such a sweet mommy. :)
    I think many people ignore the fact that they too, have given someone a hard time at least more than once when they were infants.

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I don't understand some people! & thank you very much! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this post. I can tell how much you love Lux by the way you write about her... and you're right! There is no such thing as a bad baby. More people need to have this perspective! xX

    kynialikethecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you very much! I sure do love that little girl more than anything :) So glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  5. This is actually so sweet! Some people are just so easy to judge!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  6. I've always hated when people say that question about babies too. Instead, why not just ask the mother how they're doing and what one of their favorite motherhood moments has been so far? More positivity in this world would seriously do a lot.

    Glad you are enjoying parenting! Hope you and your good baby have a great rest of the week ;)

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!? Do people expect a mother or father to say..well no, my baby isn't very good! So annoying!
      Thank you very much! I hope the rest of your week is great as well :)

      Delete
  7. I'm not even a parent and I get this. How can you call any baby 'good' or 'bad' due to sleeping habits or crying?
    I cry all the time haha does that mean I'm a bad adult? ;)
    Great post, supermama.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I guess we're both bad adults because I think I cry more than Lux!

      xx

      Delete