January 27, 2017

5 Reasons I Hate Our New Apartment

Just a little warning...this post is going to be chock full of negativity. 

Because that's how I feel today.

We moved into our current apartment in July of 2016 with high hopes of loving our new space. I mean, it was such a step up from our last place AND rent was $100 cheaper! What's not to love!? We've only been here for about six months.
Six months of regret.

Here are 5 reasons I hate our new apartment.

IT'S ON A HIGHWAY. With no sidewalks to be seen. I also don't have my driver's license (which is my own stupid fault, I know) BUT I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to take Lux anywhere during the day. I can't very well walk along a busy highway with an 8 month old in tow. So this means for the past six months me and Lux are cooped up in the apartment all day until Craig gets home from work. Which after work, he's obviously tired and not going to want to run around town. I'm going stir crazy.

OUR ELECTRICITY BILL HAS QUADRUPLED. No, that's not a mistake. Our electricity bill is FOUR TIMES higher than we've ever had to pay for power. The two other places we've rented before had heat and hot water included. This one does not. It has electric heat and a hot water tank. We thought by paying 100 less for rent that it would make up for the extra power we'd be using and it would be okay. Boy were we wrong. Since winter started we've literally only had heat turned on in Lux's room and the living room, we take ten minute showers and we don't even have a lot of stuff plugged in. There's absolutely no reason it should be so high! It doesn't help that the apartment is very poorly insulated and there's drafts all around windows and doors so our money is literally going right out the window.

HOT WATER RUNS OUT AFTER ONE SHOWER. You'd think since we pay so much to heat the damn water we'd both be able get nice hot showers but no. If I get a shower first, and like I said I only take ten minute showers, and Craig gets in after me, his shower is cold. It's ridiculous.

WE'RE SPENDING AT LEAST $70 A MONTH JUST TO WASH OUR CLOTHES. There's no washer and dryer in our apartment. You have to go down to the cold basement and use the shared laundry room. Each load (a wash and dry) costs $3.00. Anyone who has a baby knows how much laundry you have to do. So we have to buy rolls of money to use the machine and we typically have to buy new rolls every 2 weeks adding up to $70 for the month. That's not even including detergents and dryer sheets which I have to use THREE dryer sheets every load because the machines are so old they leave a musty, old smell on the clothes if I don't.

WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PAINT OR HANG THINGS ON THE WALLS. May not be a big deal to some of you but when you're already hating the place you live and you're not allowed to hang pictures or anything to make it feel more homey and cozy..it just sucks. I'm not used to it because I've never not been allowed to decorate where I've lived before.

There are SOO many more things I could write about like the fact that our stove fuse blew like ten times in the middle of making dinner, the tub stopper leaks so I have to refill the tub like 3 times just to give Lux a bath and the water has so much iron in it it's basically unusable for anything but showers.

I know this was a lot of ranting in one post but I just can't take it anymore. My anxiety has been at an all-time high since living here and I just can't do it. Come July we are definitely NOT renewing our lease and we are out of here. We're not allowed to break the lease right now so that's why we're still living in this hell hole.

TELL ME ABOUT THE WORST PLACE YOU'VE EVER LIVED....PLEASE? LOL

8 comments:

  1. That is indeed negative. But i agree. I can see why you don't like those things. I was always lucky to live in apartments that my father owns so I never had a problem really. The shower thing is a thing for me too though!
    Not enough water!!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying to run out of hot water so quickly. Especially when you have to pay so much for it!!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about all of the problems with your apartment hun! That stinks :/

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! But only a few more months and we're out of here :D

      Delete
  3. Can you buy some rubber weather sealing for your windows? That might help a little. I also found that a heated mattress pad made a big difference at night. I'd turn the heat down...it was just super-cold getting up in the morning, unless you have a thermostat that you can set to kick up an hour or so before you get up. We can't do the heated mattress pad now because our dog sleeps on the bed with us and it can cause hyperthermia in dogs. But in my pre-dog days, that really helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about getting an electric blanket but I never thought of a heated mattress pad! We're looking into getting something for around the doors. Still not sure about what to do with the windows. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the problems with your apartment! I'm glad you'll be able to live somewhere else in July though, at least the end of your time there is in sight. The worst place I lived was my second-year uni house - it was slumping, so there were gaps in between the windows and the walls, and it was absolutely freezing! Very glad I don't live there anymore xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes knowing there's an end in sight is the only thing keeping me sane haha Some places are horrible! It's hard to believe landlords think homes like that are okay to rent to people!

      Delete